Monday, December 13, 2010

when bad hairdos happen to good people

after 5 long months, i decided it was finally time to suck it up and take the plunge. a quick trim to tiddy up the ends and reshape the layers, a simple procedure. or so i thought.

i was trying out a new place, which is always risky, but kind of exciting. this salon had gotten great reviews on yelp, and allie had gone a few days earlier and loved the cut, so i figured why not?? i browsed through some mags sippin on some green tea before i was called over to the chair for a very enthusiastic shampoo session (no conditioning interestingly enough, apparently my hair was 'exceptionally clean' already). my stylist was funky and chatty, a georgia transplant who moved up to dc looking for 'big city lights.' so far so good.

just when i thought i was in the clear, she started to scrunch. and diffuse. and babble about curlers. ummmm wot? in case you didnt notice when i walked in, i have STICK straight hair. if its humid out ill get some crazy waves, sure, but never a CURL. but straight was simply UNACCEPTABLE to this stylist. rather than just brush and blow dry my hair to its natural state like every other stylist has ever done, she decided to go for curly 'just because its saturday.' saturday or not, i still have to walk outside in PUBLIC with this mess of a hairdo! good lord!

end result: shambles faux perm circa 1985.
i gave her an awkward smile when she finally wheeled my chair around for what i knew could only be a heinous mess. i couldnt bring myself to quite say i liked it, so i stuck with the classic 'oh wow, ive never seen my hair like this before...." translation: wtf!

the second i stepped outside i shoved a hat on my head and booked it home to immediately jump in the shower and rinse out the pounds of hairspray and forced curls. by the time i got home, the top had already flattened out, so i was stuck with a triangle poof. oh the shame.

30 minutes later, my hair was back to its normal state. STRAIGHT

i love a good curl as much as the next girl, but I just looked bad. you can't fight nature, or gravity...

and so the hunt continues for the best dc stylist...

2 comments:

  1. I think it looked pretty! But, I guess my waviness is just a little offended :(

    ReplyDelete