Wednesday, September 22, 2010

oh the joys of the being a TA. grading, teaching students biology, teaching myself biology... ive spent every weekend re-learning material that got pushed back into the recesses of my mind over the past 6+ years. pushed back, forgot, never learned, its all relative. despite all that (re)learning, despite the fact that NONE of these kids are biology majors, i somehow ALWAYS get asked the one question im unsure about. to honor the 'all knowing TA' image, i try and fumble an answer. which usually involves me digging myself deeper and deeper into bullshit. thankfully, being a TA has taught me how to entirely evade answering questions i dont know. i DO want them to understand, but hell to the no am i supposed to know everything about biology. the kids in my first lab section on wednesday are the unfortunate guinea pigs, bearing the brunt of my mistakes and wonky explanations as i wade through material i myself vaguely grasp. my second section on friday runs much smoother, im virtually a seasoned pro by then! not sure what beta hemolysis looks like? coincidentally, neither did i 2 days ago, but NOW im all over that stapholococcus identification!

dont deny it, you know you want to know.



No comments:

Post a Comment